Tuesday 6 August 2013

Lighting up my Life

My sister knows that if there is an item that she would never want in her home, I'll probably love it!  So, when she spied this beauty going out to the trash, she grabbed it for me, and I found it on my front step upon arriving home that afternoon:
 You really need to see the details close up:
 I happened to have a lonely lamp shade lying around, from a project previously abandoned:
 Hmm...better...but not really great...Hmmmmm...what if...

 I just made it shorter!  I actually did like the amber glass section.  Now it is reminding me of something from somewhere like Morocco.
 Using inspiration from Pottery Barn, I measured, measured, measured then made a template of this shape.
 All sketched out and ready for 17 metres of edging and a glue gun!

And here she is!

I spray painted the fancy parts on the lamp with matte black paint, and bought trim that is mainly black with some sparkle (amber and pink).  I did not intend for the design on the shade to be perfect - and I succeeded in making it imperfect!  It still is in need of rewiring...perhaps I'll manage a better photo of it when it is actually functional.

I'm not holding my breath, but I think even my sister might approve of this transformation.  And rest assured that the original shade will be put to use in another project!  (I feel her cringing as I type.  Hee Hee)

No comments:

Post a Comment